April 02, 2009

Interval Training, Day 1

I decided a couple of days ago that I was going to start some interval training. Why I decided that I cannot, for the life of me, figure out this morning. I can walk 3 miles at a pretty good pace without getting winded. I hate to run. HATE it. So, I can't figure out what inspired me except the novelty of a challenge. The particular intervals I'm doing are designed to get you from nothing to running 3 continuous miles in 9 weeks. Pretty good, since we're thinking about doing a 5K in about that. Free Astros tickets come into the motivation for that one -- 2 for each participant. It's good to have goals.

Anyway, I did my first session yesterday, and I am SORE. I'm not sure how I feel about that, except I'm glad that I was acquainted with exercise and didn't try to start from nothing. Anyone out there have any ideas or advice on how to get the most out of interval training?

2 comments:

Allison said...

Woo-hoo for you! Seriously! Way to go. I've never even heard of interval training. Okay, so maybe vaguely. I, like you, HATE to run. But I love that you're motivated by Astros tickets. :) What plan are you using and where can I find out about it?

I'm purchasing a jogging stroller (albeit with a swivel wheel that converts to fixed-- I don't think I can commit to the permanent fixed wheel which means I can use it only for jogging), but still, I'm hoping it will motivate me to at least start walking with the boys. I imagine pushing their combined 40 lbs plus the added weight of the stroller will make my arms buff in no-time!

Sarah said...

I used to HATE running with a passion until I about went crazy after getting my first desk job with now windows and began walking 3 miles at Memorial Park every day directly after work. Pretty soon the brisk walk was not much of a challenge so I began jogging until I was tired and then walking until I felt like doing it again (if exercise is too tramatic for me then I usually don't stick with it, so this was a really successful method for me). In no time I was jogging 3 miles a day and it wasn't even super hard. WHAT!?! ...and all of this from a girl who HATE(D) to run! Good luck!