October 11, 2009

Today was the day for morning-after pills. I had no less than 4 people come in to request them. Of course, I have to do the whole "I need to see your driver's license" thing, because it's prescription-only for girls under 17.
I don't necessarily agree with the availability of the morning-after pill, but I don't feel that it's my place to make moral judgements on people who decide they need it. It's my job to sell medicine.

Girl #1: came in to buy it without incident, and 10 minutes later, brought it back. She looked pretty distressed.

Girl #2: came in with her mom, and the conversation went a little like this:
Me: "May I help you?"
Mom: "YES."
Me: "What can I get for you?"
Mom: "MORNING AFTER PILL."
Me: "Okay." (I go and get the pill, thinking this entire time that if the mom was trying to embarrass her daughter out of having sex with her boyfriend by yelling what she needed to everyone in the store, she was going about it the entirely wrong way -- girl was already embarrassed, and I think that rebellion will probably follow a mom who is such a b****.)

Girl #3: without incident

Girl Boy #4: (I came in on the end of this exchange)
Technician: "We need her to come in."
Boy: "Oh, she's at home. We had a little accident last night." (Really? Did she break her leg and can't walk?)
Tech: "Well, we have to make sure she's over 17, so we need to see HER driver's license."
Boy: "Okay." (I keep thinking that the fact that we can sell this med to guys is a really bad idea, since it's rx only for under-17s. I really would like to know if the creepy college guy is buying it for his 16 year old girlfriend, since it's illegal.)

2 comments:

Susanna said...

Sometimes I don't know how you do it. But then I remember that you are amazing and tell myself to shut up! Maybe one day you will be able to counsel some of these girls.

FairLady said...

I really hope so. It breaks my heart when they come in.