October 13, 2010

I was talking to a friend the other night and we were discussing the lament of women everywhere: we don't have it all together.
That's right. I. Don't. Haveitalltogether. As hard as that is to face some days, it's a relief to see it in black and white. Fortunately (or not), being married makes me realize how true that is. My house is NOT spotless (though there's nothing growing in the refrigerator or anything), I am cranky when I haven't had enough sleep, and sometimes I still like having the house to myself. I can blame my annoyance on D-man trying to talk to me when I'm ready to go to sleep (I do the same thing to him!), yet I wonder if that isn't just the easy way out, because taking a deeper look would mean facing my own issues.
Being married really is like looking in a mirror and finding your own issues and worst parts on display. Some days. Other days it's nice to come home to someone who is fully aware that you don't have it all together and doesn't mind, because he knew that long before you did.

1 comment:

The Black Family said...

Jen,

That is so true! Thanks for sharing that tidbit of insight. After being married almost 22 years, you realize that having it all together is only what the world expects of us. That man you married never expected it, he loves you no matter what. After 50 years of marriage, I expect it will come down to did we make beautiful memories together, did we leave a legacy worth keeping for our kids, and do we love each other more than ever...did we have it all together will probably never come up. Have a beautiful week! Love you! M~