July 04, 2008

Diamonds are forever

At least that's what they say. I saw the rough cut of my engagement ring yesterday. Why do I say rough cut? Because it's being hand-made by a jeweler here in Rio. The man carries everything around in his pockets. In his office yesterday, he pulled the rings out of his pocket along with the loose diamond. First observation: white gold is ugly before it's polished and finished off. Second observation: I love having had a say in what I'll be wearing for the rest of my life.

A few months ago, the D-man asked me if I was "the kind of girl that....", which, of course, could only have ended badly, until he finished the question: "wants to have a say in what her engagement ring looks like". I said, "Of course! I don't want to feel like I have to lie to you for the next 50 years if it's something I hate." And so the design process was birthed. After much hemming and hawing and trying to figure out what exactly I wanted, or what the jeweler could understand (hint: talk to his assistant -- he's the one that actually makes the jewelry), we have come to a conclusion.

I will post pictures and descriptions and be shouting from the rooftops when I am officially the proud owner of an engagement ring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Michael I have known him for almost 18 years now. He made my high school ring and has become a very close family friend. I love the fact that we have people involved in this process who are good friends and not some stranger in a jewlry store.