August 14, 2008

Guest considerations

I have been talking with my parents about my budget, and I mentioned to my mom that the D-man and I were anticipating inviting 300 people to the wedding. Her response was, "Um, that's not enough." She sent me her (flexible) guest list, and the column of LAST NAMES takes up 180 lines on a spreadsheet, and most of those are couples. Instead of freaking out, I have to laugh and remember that I am from a small town where people know who I belong to by looking at me (I look strikingly like my mom, though people who haven't met my mom say I look like my dad). Not to mention the number of people that the D-man's mom has been in touch with over the past 10 years.

As much as I would love for our special day to be small and intimate, God is helping me to remember that a true celebration involves the entire community celebrating with us. And my parents are paying for it -- if they are willing to pay to invite as many people as they wish, who am I to argue? And so I say, "The more, the merrier!"

2 comments:

Allison said...

"And my parents are paying for it -- if they are willing to pay to invite as many people as they wish, who am I to argue? And so I say, "The more, the merrier!""

AMEN!

I remember as I was addressing by hand (calligraphy, no less) ALL 500+ of our wedding invitations, my parents kept adding more! "Oh Judge Such-and-such should certainly be invitied...etc."

Mind yoy, only about a third of the people actually came...somewhere around 300, I think. They say that's usually how it goes. Things come up.

And hey, if you would like someone to come and hand address your invites for you, I'd LOVE to! I did a friend's wedding invites recently and her aunt asked for my business card! Too bad I don't have one yet! (I'd gladly do it for free, as a gift to you guys of course, but you know, if your parents REALLY want to pay someone, I wouldn't mind.) ;-)

Unknown said...

Sounds like what happened to me! I had been gone for some time then, so I decided to have it at a bed and breakfast. Their facilities could only accommodate 150 people (max). Then, it was kind of hard to narrow it down and people got their feelings hurt. I think yours might be the better option:).