August 17, 2008

Toasting....















When Arab J, the D-man's mom, and I went to Minas Gerais, we bought pewter. My future m-i-l saw some gorgeous champagne flutes and started asking me questions about them:

"What do you think of those?"

"Would that be a good wedding present?"

"What's the advantage of having a storage box?"

I'm sure there were several other questions involved, but that trip was 3 months ago. Unlike the D-man, my memory is failing quickly. I do remember my answer, though:

"If I were to buy those for someone, I would give them to the couple before the wedding and ask them to use them to toast at the reception."

Turns out, she was asking me those questions for ME. And so what are we going to do? As we're not going to have alcohol at the reception (for so many reasons -- cost, the tendency of people to overserve themselves, the reception is at a church), I thought about how we can use them. Eureka! We're toasting with GuaranĂ¡ (a Brazilian soft drink that looks enough like champagne to cheat with). Exciting for us, though I really hope we get more to eat and drink at the reception than wedding cake and GuaranĂ¡....

3 comments:

Zoetewey said...

I love that! Elizabeth S. toasted with Guarana at her wedding too! Miss you, friend.

Allison said...

That's awesome! What a thoughtful MIL. I think my grandmother gave me cake serving pieces (knife and something else?) which we used at the reception. That was fun.

Oh, and though you might not get to eat much AT the reception, make sure they make a nice box for you. We totally pigged out once we got to the hotel room.

Okay, so my question is this: if you've been living in Brazil and so you've both been there, and you're getting married not far from the busiest airport in the world, where are you going for your honeymoon (or is it a surprise)? I guess you could go to Portugal. Or is the language very different from Brazilian Portugese? I need to know these things. ;)

Anonymous said...

What a perfect gift! I was thinking yesterday about our buying fun glasses at Wal-mart! One must always have glasses for every occasion...for everything from toasting special occasions to banana splits in a cup!