August 23, 2008

What's in a name?

Names are fun. Especially mine. My soon-to-be name, I mean. Everywhere I've looked, I've found that my first name (which won't change, of course) is a Cornish variation of "Guinevere" and means "fair lady." I've always loved the romantic attachment of my name to the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (though I don't so much love the association with the king's most trusted knight).

My new last name is going to be Fairchild, which, being a good English name, means just that. Fair child. I have to laugh at God's sense of humor. Who thinks my new name will be a bit redundant? Anyone? Who thinks we should name our first girl Sabrina?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking Chastity Fairchild I mean I would not want her to go through life with a weird name like Sabrina LOL. This is a joke by the way