October 21, 2008

I know everyone says this, but my recent lack of blogging is due to simple busyness. I have not stopped running since I got home from Brazil almost 3 weeks ago. We have been making wedding decisions, ordering supplies, and checking off lists.

I had a panic moment today; I ordered invitations. I okayed the proof that the company sent. I am not stressed out that I am getting married; I will not rest until I have the invitations in my hands and know that everything is correct (type, size, etc). I often wonder why my life seems to invite stress. Or better yet, worry. I worry about entirely too much, entirely too much of the time. Planning seems to exacerbate that particular trait that I have -- not just for the wedding; any kind of planning will do. I'm not sure whether or not that has anything to do with the 6-month wait for my visa, with the perpetual need to send just one more document, with the feeling that there would always be one more thing to do.

I am also going through a little bit of culture shock. I have stepped into a totally different lifestyle, though I am hoping it will slow down now that we've gotten a good handle on wedding planning. I have been shopping at least 5 of the 20 days I have been home, and I feel like I am sustaining (or at least stimulating) the U.S. economy because my spending habits are so different here. Even though I'm not the one paying for the wedding, it's still a lot of money to spend, and I am having a little trouble adjusting. There always seems to be something to buy, or some bill to pay. I still have to look for a car and wonder exactly what will be best. I am still planning a wedding (and looking forward to being married). And I am still me, even in a different country.

1 comment:

The Black Family said...

Jen,

The craziness of wedding shopping by itself is overwhelming - you are doing great esp since you are combining it with acclimating yourself to this wacky culture!

We're praying for you all - we love you and we are so excited about all that's happening in your lives!

My dress and the invitations were my two favorite parts of wedding planning - I just loved seeing our names together and dreaming of life after wedding madness.

Love you!
Margaret