December 05, 2008

Housewarming

I have been in Houston for the last week with the D-man, getting the house ready to have a woman in it (besides my m-i-l -- this used to be my in-laws' crash pad when they came home from Brasil). Here's a run-down of the last few days:

Friday: Pick D-man up from the airport, Thanksgiving dinner with dad

Saturday: Pick up the rental truck, watch UGA get their hearts broken, load said rental truck (with lots of discussion about how to tie furniture down so it wouldn't slide around)

Sunday: Load the last (forgotten) bits of furniture and boxes onto the rental truck and leave, finally, at 8:30. Drive I-20 to I-59 to I-12 to I-10. Hit massive amounts of traffic in Meridian, MS (a semi ran off the road) and between Hammond, LA and Lafayette, LA (just a bunch of idiots and Alabama fans going back to Texas).

Monday: Start the painting project that is sure to leave me sore until the wedding. Paint 1 coat in each bedroom. Make 1 trip to Home Depot to buy paint for coat #2. Find out they don't have one of the paints in stock. Make trip to Home Depot #2 -- no paint there, either.

Tuesday: Paint coat #2 in the back bedroom. Go to Wal-Mart (for groceries and assorteds, including a DVD player to replace the one that D-man sliced his finger open on that didn't work anyway). Go to Home Depot #3, pull the can of base paint from the shelf, take it to the nice man at the paint counter, give him one of the 2 labels I already have that tells him how to mix the paint, and get the paint for the front bedroom. Paint coat #2 in the front bedroom.

Wednesday: Drag the D-man to Wal-Mart for groceries and assorteds (not as much fun as I thought it should have been), waste 2 hours, take the extension out of the desk so that we can put a bed in the front bedroom, get lots done and feel like crap (methinks it has been a little touch of the flu -- or could it just be a cold combined with the aching joints of old age?).

Thursday: Roll the rest of the coins that were in the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet -- we are rich with a grand total of $105.00. Clean the refrigerator so I can feel okay about storing things like fruits and vegetables in there. Move some furniture. OH! Another trip to Home Depot. Apparently I'm expensive. Waste some more time. Take all of the in-laws' stuff to the other house (the one that they now crash at -- another, SINGLE, son is living there). Find gift card to Pappasito's and go out to eat. Load bookshelf with books (as much as we can, because D-man is going to get more shelf supports today at . . . . Home Depot!).

Friday: Well, we're just getting started. D-man should be home any minute from work (after a stop at the Home Depot -- it's quickly become my favorite store in Houston), and then we'll get going again. I'm headed back home today and am sad to leave my hubby to be, but I am really looking forward to coming back in just over a month. When this house is "ours" instead of "his."

1 comment:

Allison said...

Wow! Way to go Ms. Productivity! We're so excited for you both and your new home! Have you taken any pictures? Even just "after" ones? That's a lot of painting!

And who stores $105 worth of loose change in the bottom of a filing cabinet?! I want to know! They do make large jugs you can use for that purpose, ya know! Although, we did find out that a regular Mason jar full of pennies plus a small jar of quarters can get you $30 at Coinstar (if you get a gift card they don't charge you to count your money). Randomness.

Have a safe trip home and we'll see you soon, I hope!