August 17, 2009

A day in the life of a checkbook

When it comes to money, D-man and I come from extremely different backgrounds. He has lots more experience than I do with Father God providing for his needs even up to the last minute. I tend to stress out about money these days because, well, I feel like (please see the "FEEL LIKE") we don't have any. That's not a reflection on D-man as "worse than an unbeliever" -- he provides and allows the Lord to provide in weird, amazing ways that I am not used to, and that are not, um, always as regular as would make me comfortable. We are blessed to have been in a season up until now that he's been a student and we have had the luxury of my not having to work.

Sometimes, when I am trying to save money and cut coupons and be diligent about being a good steward, I tend to feel like we have less than we actually do. I am extremely forward-thinking about what bills need to be paid, but not necessarily about what money will come in. I have seen God's amazing provision in the last 7 months of marriage that I hope will continue far into our elderly years. I realize that at some point, that involves me letting go of some of the security that having a little extra money offers, but it also promises to strip my character to its bare bones and my relationship with Christ to total dependence upon Him in an area that I haven't ever had to worry about. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

The Black Family said...

Jen,

Thanks for sharing your heart! 20 years on this side of marriage, I will tell you that you will be tested repeatedly on how much you trust your husband and your Father with finances. Stay on your knees on this subject - if you can continue to submit to both of them, you will be rewarded with a peaceful marriage! The love of money is the root of all evil and the root of almost ALL arguments in a marriage. Going to Africa and having nothing was a balm to our lives and it continues even now.

Love you! Praying for you!
Margaret