September 16, 2008

Ike

Well, even though I'm still in Brasil, Ike had me worried. The D-man lives in Houston, in what will be our house after we get married. His house has flooded 3 times in the past 8 years, so hurricanes and heavy rains make him and his family pretty nervous.

I talked to him during the weekend and got frequent updates. He had power the whole time, except for an hour one night (I can't remember which one). He had internet and phone service until Saturday night, AFTER the storm hit. Blech. He had minor roof damage and a leak into the coat closet. But only the coat closet.

What saved him? Or the house, I should say.... He put boards up around the bottom of his fence coming into his yard (see picture at left -- the right side of the picture is the street side). That, by itself, kept the waves from coming into his yard and into the house. Props to a man who plans well for impending emergencies!


No comments: