June 30, 2009

A very nice gesture

While we were staying with Papa Funk, and our house was getting coated in a thick layer of sheetrock dust, my guitar (a Martin DM dreadnought, which apparently was discontinued this year) sat forgotten, rescued only from its wet case.

In order to avoid permanent damage, Papa Funk captured my guitar and took it to Great Southern Music, and had them give the guitar a thorough cleaning (including the pickup), new strings, and make sure that the wood wasn't damaged or warped by the water. Before he left for India, he gave me the claim check and told me about it. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I went to pick it up today, and the store reminds me a little of Fretted Instruments, my guitar shop in Birmingham, though without the couches.

I walked in to pick up my guitar and walked out with my guitar, a new case, and a pick. The old case was ruined in the flood, as it was made of pressed board. In addition to taking on water, it was the world's heaviest guitar case. It came with the guitar when I bought it 9 years ago, and I got really tired of lugging it through airports (Amazon.com lists the shipping weight at 40 pounds!). The new case, by my best estimate, weighs about 10 pounds.

As Papa Funk paid for the repairs/cleaning, I didn't stress too much about spending money on a guitar case -- especially one that won't take on water unless the water is high!

1 comment:

Allison said...

That's awesome! What a great gift!

My guitar (a sad old Jasmine or something) is languishing in storage behind my parents' office. I married the guitar player, so I gave up the playing, which is fine with me. I'd rather paint.

So, how did your interview go today? I guess you're in it right now, so I'll send up a little prayer. :) Love ya!