July 04, 2009

A pharmacist's thoughts

My first thoughts along these lines in awhile....

An FDA advisory committee just recommended that the maximum daily dose of over-the-counter acetaminophen (Tylenol, APAP, paracetamol) be reduced from 4 grams (8 extra-strength tablets) per day because of potential liver damage in doses greater than 4 grams/day. They also voted to limit the maximum single dose to 650 mg (the previous single dose limit was 1000 mg, or 2 extra-strength tablets), or 2 regular-strength tablets.

I must say that I agree with it in principle; I don't really like acetaminophen all that much for pain relief anyway. As a pharmacist, I see patients struggle to make sense of the medications they are using, including trying to combine their OTC drugs with their Rx drugs, making sure nothing overlaps or interacts. THAT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR. There is also a prevailing thought in our society of excess that more is better. NOT TRUE. More isn't better, and it can cause permanent damage. A double dose of Nyquil, for example, though bound to dope you up for much longer than a single dose, is not going to make you feel better faster. Those doses and instructions are on the label for a reason. Follow them, and don't take extra. Period. If the medicine isn't helping, consider that something else might help -- a diet change, a lifestyle change, more (or less) exercise -- anything but more medicine. I know: coming from a pharmacist, that's rich advice. Remember, though, that I went to school and learned about what those meds do to the body. I don't use them (except for occasionally), and I'm going to do my dead-level best to make sure I don't have to ever use them chronically.

In the meantime, the FDA has a handy guide to acetaminophen on their website here. Read it, and if you don't understand something, ask your doctor or pharmacist. They can have a conversation with you. The internet can't.

1 comment:

Susanna said...

But YOU are my personal pharmacist, always have been!!! God knew you would need practice.